Members of the Association of Philanthropic Counsel (APC) pledge to uphold a strict Code of Ethics, Standards of Professional Practice and Values. These guidelines have been adopted by the membership to provide our nonprofit clients and their donor constituencies with the highest quality professional consulting services and meet Performance Expectations.
An applicant for full APC membership will have been in a consulting practice for at least the three previous years.
An applicant for an emerging firm APC membership will have been a practicing consultant for at least one year immediately prior to application.
All applicants must submit the signed APC membership application form.
A summary of professional knowledge and experience, which can be submitted in resume form, is also required for membership application.
In making application to join APC, the Membership Committee will review the applicant’s professional experience, comprised of the following categories:
- Professional Education/Certification
- Documented proof of a graduate degree or continuing education seminars from sponsoring organizations such as: AFP, CASE, AHP, CGP for Charitable Gift Planners for the last three years and/or
- CFRE, ACFRE, FAHP, recognized credentials in the development profession
- Dates of any APC forums the applicant has attended
- Endorsement of applicant from at least one APC member, based on personal acquaintance, knowledge of professional service, familiarity with applicant’s clients
- Reference checking with three or more previous clients, either by phone or in a written questionnaire, using as a guideline the APC Standards of Professional Practice and Performance Expectations
- Service to the development profession that advances professionalism, e.g. offices held in professional organizations, presentations, and publications
- Demonstrated personal commitment to philanthropy both in giving and volunteering
The membership committee will review the application, check references and make a recommendation to the APC Executive Committee.
Please contact the APC office or an APC member for further information or to request an application packet.