Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics
As a representative of a member firm of the Association of Philanthropic Counsel, I pledge to:
- Accurately represent my professional expertise and experience.
- Base fees on the value of my professional expertise and experience; mutually agree with clients on fees in advance of engagements; and not accept compensation based on a percentage of charitable contributions.
- Refrain from guaranteeing financial fundraising results.
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged client information.
- Disclose real and perceived conflicts of interest.
- Uphold the Donor Bill of Rights.
Standards of Professional Practice
To best serve clients, I further promise to:
- Promote the spirit of philanthropy.
- Serve institutions whose missions I support.
- Assist clients in making decisions that advance their missions and strengthen their organizations.
- Support volunteers and staff in fulfilling their roles as fundraisers and refuse to serve as a paid solicitor.
- Avoid receiving and processing charitable gifts on behalf of clients.
- Place authority over and control of fundraising expenses with clients.
- Refrain from charging a fee for initial meetings with prospective clients interested in engaging my services.
- Continually update my professional knowledge.
- Advocate legislation and regulations promoting philanthropy.
- Adhere to all laws and regulations governing the profession.
- Provide high quality service. Draw upon the professional expertise of other APC members.